Wednesday 24 April 2019

Springing

Well every year I plan on posting more. The blog started more as a diary of things I had learnt, but the"gap" between out there in the garden and the PC makes it not the ideal medium for recording notes.

One of the ideas I wanted to record was the seasons. Last year was very warm summer and the hot peppers loved it. After a long, consitently cool winter, we emerged to what is turning out to be a late spring. They still forcasting -1 temperatures this weekend at night!

I changed a number of things this season though, its about learning and trying new things and not all went well. Firstly I replaced my starting lights. I was using 3 standard fluorescent shop lights bolted together with cold white tubes. Under these I could fit 4 trays. This year with the greenhouse, I wanted to do less indoors and so bought 3 of these led growlights on sale and  fitted them to cheap Ikea HYLLIS shelf. Much less space and half the power of 3/5 the capacity.  Although the lights drew a bit more than 20watt I dont think they worked as well, but i could be the soil.

Second was the issue with the new starting mix I tried. Organic right?? but it crusted, had damp water retention issues and half my peppers did not start, when planted in it.

The greenhouse though has being a life saver. It has not  dropped below 0 since early March and currently hits the 30's in the day and upper teens at night. Wow. Now if I only had more space. The upper shelves are mostly peppers and Tomatoes, and the lower (shaded) shelves are mostly starting squash,  melon, corn, sunflowers and cucumbers. The bottom beds i planted with some mustard, kale, lettuce and herbs. I got my first salad for Easter dinner.

Lastly the garden has started really bring in the wild life. I am not sure if its the absence of the ducks, or just the attempts to create a permiculture concept of all elements, but the garden is full of critters his year. I cant now kill them, but these two, along with the chipmunks, squirrels, racoons, skunks and birds are going to cause some issues. This rabbit has no fear and let me walk up to 6 feet from it.


No comments:

Post a Comment