Friday 28 February 2014

Tomato's and Brassica's are in (9 weeks to go)

I woke up this morning to severe weather alert of wind-chills at around -35 Celsius. So like any good gardener, I decided to plant. 9 weeks till my last frost is tomorrow and I was planning on waiting till 8 weeks to do my tomatoes, but this cold winter can't hang around and I needed the therapy.


Problem is If I give each plant 2 feet on the trellis, I should only plant 5 plants. Squeezing them to 1.5 feet each gets me 7 else I have no place for cucumbers and other climbing. Does anyone else see the issue I face? I think I need a new trellis.

Planted 4 seeds each

  1. Isis Candy
  2. Black Cherry (my personal favourite)
  3. Belgium Giant
  4. Green Zebra
  5. Black Krim (not a huge success in last years poor weather)
  6. Purple Cherokee (not a huge success in last years poor weather)
  7. Red cherry
  8. Sungold
  9. Italian Heirloom
  10. Kumato
  11. Roma (determinate)
I also planted 
  1. Copenhagen Cabbage
  2. Filderkraut Cabbage (excited about this one)
  3. Blue Hybrid Chinese Cabbage
  4. Purple Sprouting Broccoli
  5. Romanesco Broccoli (no luck last year, but I love the look of these) 
  6. Covolo Broccolo Spigariello
  7. Brussels Sprouts (last year I started these too late and only got a few)
  8. Tuscan or Dino Kale
  9. Red Russian Kale
  10. Blue Curly Kale
  11. Noble Giant Spinach
  12. Okra ("They" say plant in place, but last year I only got 2 or 3 fruits before frost. so lets call it an experiment)
I still have some chard and a few other seeds that I could try push the time envelope with, but I will do another tray in a couple weeks as back-up as these may be a bit early. Perhaps if I keep planting, spring will get the message.






No comments:

Post a Comment