Thursday 6 March 2014

Potato's

The year before last I grew a few potato's in a not all that successful attempt and to my retired polish neighbours (who was raised on a potato farm) great amusement. I decided at a couple dollars a bag, it really was not worth the effort, and so last year, did not try again.

Darn this internet. While reading some garden blogs, I came across a English vs North American potato debate. The debate was much around was it the type of potato or the environment that we grow in North America that makes our potatoes taste so different from England and France. The result, I started looking up favourite potato types. 

One name came up surprisingly often was Ratte. Even mentioned by one of my favourite TV personalities Raymond Blanc as his favourite salad potato. Consistently being mentioned, even if not winning as favourite as one of the tastiest waxy varieties. After some hunting around, I found a source in Quebec online with very reasonable shipping. http://www.brysonfarms.com/. At $10, I could buy a more potatoes than I eat in a year, but if these taste much better, its worth every cent.

So for science purposes, I  order half a pound of "la" Ratte and half a pound of Rose Finn. Both finger potatoes that they list as their tastiest. I think I will build 2 small potato boxes out of cedar, and do the taste test myself. For taste comparison, would I not need to then take a trip to France?

No comments:

Post a Comment