Friday 7 March 2014

Just a regular Grow Op

Well, I asked my garden keen neighbour if they had started and their response was no, I do seeds in place only and buy peppers and Tomatoes. When I mentioned that I now have 4 trays already going in my basement, the response was "you have a regular Grow Op". "Mr/s Police please, they really are only my Peppers, Tomatoes and a couple other veggies."
 I found the lights at Home depot on sale for and so bought a regular box of bulbs and 3 lights which I then spaced with some galvanized strapping and small metal screws. The automatic timer turns them on at 6 am and off at 10pm. They a little high for the picture. They all seem to be working great, although I need to work on the hanging mechanism still, to raise and lower them easier.  In front I have some onions and 2 artichokes I am experimenting with. Next is a tray of peppers, then Tomatoes and then kale, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, lettuce etc (ok I have some overlap.) The final tray is a few hard to get sprouted peppers, still on heat. The soil temperature there around 29-30 degrees. (wonder if too hot). They all sitting on some pink insulation which helps them maintain the heat from the lights.

I am still using a aluminium blind, which I cut up write on with a permanent marker for tags. It was a great idea I found on the web and works great for me. In a week or 2, I will consolidate the Pepper and Tomato plantings into larger cells or small pots, throwing out the weaker and perhaps dropping to 2 or 3 of each seedling. I was hoping to move some of the cold hardy outdoors by then to the cold frame and begin more serious round of planting.

Weather wise, we are warming for the weekend to a more seasonal +3 odd. But by mid week we back down to -10 Celsius. The 14 days forecast has it just getting back up to 0 at the end of 14 days, with night time lows around -5. This winter is not releasing its hold yet and I may have a jungle in my basement soon. I have still not got my duck eggs, but I can hope for this weekend. The number of Furry Tailed Rats (squirrels) in my yard this season is incredible. It seems the more I grow, the more they come, but lets hope its just since its being a hard winter for all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment