Friday 28 June 2013

Good things happen

2 days after heat hit
Well 3-4 days in the 30's and good things suddenly start happening. I actually have growth in my eggplant and peppers and squash have nearly doubled in size.

Lets start with Strawberries. My patch this year has given me 3-6 strawberries a day for last 2 weeks. 2 days of heat and this was my day's pickings. It seems there was a lot of latent potential, just waiting for a few warm days. They where rinsed and eaten by me and 3 neighbours. Home grown strawberries do taste better.

Sugar snap and snow peas
On the left is the Sugar snap peas. These are smaller and sweater, but a little less crisp to bite. The vines are tall, at over 6 feet and very pretty. They are not as prolific as the snow pea either.

The Oregon Snow pea (right) vines are not as tall coming in at around under 5 feet in my garden. The are heavily laden with pods and regardless of how many I pick, there seems to a few I missed when next I look. The texture of these is perfect, snapping crisply without feeling at all stringy.

I love both of these in the morning when I walk outside to check on any midnight monster mayhem.  I am yet to bring them indoors as they both perfect fresh. I will need to remove these soon to make room for tomatoes - if they dont die in this heat anyhow.
Purple Vienna Kohlrabi

Kohlrabi. - This is another vegetable that I noticed in the store last year. I joke that this plant looks alien - but it does. Something General Zod may consider a delicacy. They very expensive here, but I bought a couple to try and decided I should try grow them. Here is my first purple Vienna that I harvested and ate sliced and raw for brunch. I will try one sliced on the BBQ sometime, anyone got other ideas? It tastes like a .. cabbage apple

These went in early spring and most are just starting to swell. They taken a fair amount of space, and I have to see how heat effects them, but even if they did not look so alien, I believe these be nice addition to regular growing schedule.

Zucchini
Zucchini 24 hours later
Now I would swear that my plants doubled in size in the first 2 days of the heat, especially the zucchini. This is no idle boast, but I decided to carefully monitor a plant to see if my perception was not just skewed. I decided to use the most advanced measuring equipment and greatest of care to make this indisputable research. So I went out and took a picture and 24 hours later took a picture of the same plant with my cell phone. Surely all can see the huge growth and it is not just my parental feelings towards my plants, exaggerating the growth. OK, perhaps I was a little closer in the second picture and perhaps not 50% larger, but I think it grew!


3 comments:

  1. I think you can sit back and watch the zucchini grow right before your eyes. Butternut squash are even faster growers! My garden is being overtaken by squash plants. I'm trying to head the butternut vines toward the fence, but the zucchini and crooknecks are beginning to grow right over the bush beans :-(

    Aren't home grown strawberries delicious? Mine have been super good this spring, and we've had enough to eat and to freeze! I love my strawberry smoothies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew 2 Waltham butternut plants from seed last year and got over 30 butternuts from them! I was dishing them out on the street. This year, I have 1 little butternut that's still trying to find its legs. blame all the rain and cool spring here. I added a spaghetti squash this year as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have two Waltham butternuts from last year. I had four hills, with 2-3 plants in each, and got 192 pounds of squash from them! I can't believe just how well they kept in our garage. I brought one in the house to cook tomorrow, so that will leave me just one more. I have a lot of it in the freezer though. I grew bush butternuts in 2011, and didn't get much of a yield from them, so I went right back to the Waltham. Luckily, all my children love them as much as we do. Two of us could never eat 192 pounds of squash, LOL!

    ReplyDelete