Wednesday 12 June 2013

The "Pond"

Well much of what permiculture and other ideas are around trying to find balance between nature again. providing all the aspects you would in the wild. Although I have a river 1km away from my house, I really dont know of any closer natural water (not a pool) that is permanently there. So I wanted a very small pond. Deep enough to always have water, but small enough to not have huge maintenance. So I bought a large rubber planter, sunk it into the ground and added a solar pump. Then added a few feeder fish to eat any mosquitoes. Well the midnight monsters of mayhem (MMM for short) ate the fish and removed everything they could. So after a bit of research, I put a cinder block in the pond, giving fish a place to hide and set it to the right height so that birds could stand on it, in the water. Then added a few dinner plates to cascade a bit.
The "Pond"
The alligator purchased at Dollarama was supposed to "spit" the water into the plates, but on trying to drill a hole for the tube, it started disintegrating and I think I will need a hardier item. The lime green thorny shrub to protect birds and hopefully keep MMM away. Now all I need is more fish.

Clematis
The number of Birds in my garden has increased dramatically. So much so that the neighbors commented about it. While out there, they seem to be willing to stop off for a quick drink along with a furry tailed rat or 2. Funny how the furry tailed rats lie prone to lap water. While looking from the house window, there is some major bathing going on. I am not sure on the insects I was hoping to attract as of yet. Its funny how with water, you get both the desirable's and undesirables, and one hopes only that it finds some point of balance.

Another project on balance was my desire to keep blooming flowers in the garden at all times to ensure a food source for beneficial insects. Something I did not try for last year. So far, I have been able to keep at least a few blooms flowers or shrubs at all times. Peony's and Clematis though are more for show. My purple chives are really showing as well
Peony

No comments:

Post a Comment