Monday 14 April 2014

3 Weeks Till Last Frost

Well, Normally by this time, I have planted up a storm and things are developing quite well. A weekend around 20 degrees Celsius, eventually made the soil workable and tulips and daffs are all starting to poke their heads out. Even the garlic is showing.The pussy willow has burst out, yet, there is no sign of a flower other than snow drops.

Well I took the time to do a few early garden projects. Last week, I built bird houses, which although seem to get a fair amount of attention are still tenant-less. This week I build a new raised bed and extended another. I added some sheep and cow compost and some alfalfa (any one know a good source near Toronto for alfalfa pellets, please let me know), Pulled out the parsnips and leeks that got frozen last year and planted out some hardy seedlings. Here is the new layout.

I had quite some debate on if the new 5 x 9 Bed in front should be marked in square foot or perhaps 1.5 feet for larger plants, but decided for crop rotation, I would leave it in square foot. The garden right at the back is now a 4 x 8 and not a 3 x 5, gaining a few extra feet, although somewhat shaded by the tree next to it, it be a good nursery and leaf vegetable spot.

I used my own compost bin, lots of peat moss, store bought sheep and cow manure and some vermiculite. They could do with more vermiculite in the mix, but the local nurseries had only tiny bags. I think I add more alfalfa or some green manure.

The bright green bins in the background is my new attempt at composting. I have already filled up 3 of the 4 bins with spring clippings. My compost takes to long and newly added stuff making turning difficult and decided to try worm bin composting. I drilled a hole near the bottom and put a hose connector on it, much like a rain barrel. Then drilled a series of holes higher up for air. Now I have thrown a few garden worms in there, but on the lookout for some red wrigglers. They sell them on Kijiji, in a wide range of prices and sizes.
I also used some of the surplus wood from resizing the one bed and the old composter to build my potato boxes.  The idea is rather simple, I will plant the potatoes, then in a few weeks add one layer, and top up with soil and then in a few weeks add a second layer again. Its only about 1 foot high with the 2 boxes, but should help with hilling the few potatoes I plan on growing, while allowing me to move the location. They only 2 feet square, for a total of 4 feet growing space. In order for the boxes to fit more securely, I used 2 x 6 on 2 sides and 2 x 8 on the other. When stacked, they square (background). 
Well today I am tiered and sore, with thorns, splinters and body aches from lugging bags of peat-moss and etc. Such a good feeling. Then I saw that the weather after today turns cold again, and the temperature is expected to drop to -8 on Wednesday.  I am not sure even my kale seedlings I planted out can take that. My peppers indoors under lights are looking like the ready to flower already and the tomatoes are now trees. I suspect spring my be late this year. 



1 comment:

  1. Your place looks so organised and those potatoe boxes are super - I hope you have GREAT success and that the weather warms up and not goes up and down LOL

    ReplyDelete