Thursday 17 April 2014

I say Potato

Well, This season seems to have turned out to be Asian veggies and Potato fingerlings year. After Raymond le Blanc raving about his mothers potatoes - la Ratte, I searched for ages online and in person and could not find any at the nurseries etc in Toronto. In the end I ordered a tiny sample from Bryson farms in Quebec along with a second Rose Finn Apple Fingerling which the store claimed was also amazingly tasty and paid shipping. These I am still waiting to arrive.

Today I drove out to Peel Hardware and Supply after making a few calls, to buy Alfalfa for my garden beds as a green manure. Something I know my grass loves. Their price was very reasonable and also closer than anyone else to Toronto. When I found the store, I realized that my much abused, and still very much in use, wheelbarrow had being an impulse purchase one day as I had stopped at this very store.

I wondered into the store, gawking like a city slicker gardener in a hardcore farm store, at the hardcore tools and practical things  (they even had a Scythe -  but I could not work out how I fit that in my square foot garden). I came across a bunch of buckets of different sizes with Potatoes in it. On the left was the "Special" potatoes in smaller buckets and on the right was the large regular potatoes. I cant remember the price of the regular potatoes (yukon gold etc) but it was well under $1 a pound. What caught my eye, was Pink Fir potato. This is a Scottish Heirloom, that is to the English much the same as Ratte is to the French.  I added A Russian Blue (late blue potato - for fun) and Candy Cane (who can resist candy) $2.58 a pound. He may have, but could not find Linzer Delikatess, another I am looking out for and had about another 6-8 "special" variates.

Supper helpful and the nicest of nice folks, these were new idea they trying this year, and I sincerely hope that it will become known to those looking top grow or try some a little different to the regular Canadian Tire. They also sold bulk corn, fava and some other interesting seeds and some really sturdy garden utensils. I may just have to check in later in the year to see how it went, before I eat all mine and have non as seed potatoes for next year. The trip for Alfalfa makes potatoes a double bargain.

Now last weekend I built 2 potato boxes and I now have 5 varieties expected and over 3 pounds of seedlings.





No comments:

Post a Comment