Saturday 18 April 2015

Early Spring bulbs

Having Grown up in the southern hemisphere and the subtropics, bulbs were not common (for that matter seasons were not that defined)

But every year I scout out my neighbours snow drops, as I am yet to find some for my garden. The true harbinger of spring when you see these, you know there is no stopping it.





The second small bulb that I love is blue bells. These add a early dash of dainty colour when one is truly tiered of white. Dainty and small, they singularly they don’t make that much of an impact, but together they can be quiet striking.



By the time one starts seeing crocus, you really know things are happening. I tried a few times now to plant these in my lawn, but they dont seem to be happy there. Yet in flower beds and other garden borders they flower a week earlier than the earliest daffodils for me.

These were taken 3 weeks before last frost date for my area.

1 comment:

  1. As I live 'south' I think these are fantastic...never seen them before.....thanks.

    ReplyDelete