Sunday 4 March 2018

Greenhouse update

Wow, am I impressed with my little Ghetto greenhouse. Its early March and 2 degrees Celsius outdoors as our high today. The greenhouse automatic window is slightly open and its 26 degrees Celsius in side. I planted some kale, lettuce, mustard, peas and green onions in there and have even left one of my early mini tomato plants out there since I am short of space in my seeding area inside.  At -6c low last night, it recorded a low of only 2c and the plants are established and although small seem to be growing well.

More impressive is my test kale planting has actually sprouted and showing signs of growth.  Thats before I would usually plant kale indoors! This is a full month earlier than I hoped or expected. That said, this week coming has high of 4c degrees and a low of -9, a bit colder than the past week and we will see how well it does when the average temp is below 0 outside.

I spent some time this morning researching bluetooth temperature sensors to see if I could put one in the greenhouse and alert me if it gets close to freezing. This would give me confidence to move some frost sensitive plants out there. Then I realized I dont even own a heater to switch on if it did drop below zero... so perhaps I need to think this though a bit more.

With luck though, I should have a salad by the end of March a full month or more earlier than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment