Thursday 20 June 2019

Lovage

My Lovage plant after about 5 years
I read that during the middle ages, most gardens had a lovage plant. Yet somehow this plant fell out of favour. It may not be quiet as refined as celery.

It's a stunning easy personal here in Toronto though. It dies down to the ground each year and springs back like rhubarb early in the spring. A massive plant after a few years, I hardly seem to be able to use enough to be noticed. Mine is currently over 7 feet tall and just starting to get a flower. The flowers are yellow and are great attractors. The seeds are apparently used in it Europe as a condiment as well, although I have not as of yet tried them. There are a number of medical uses for the plant and it is even used in making perfumes.
and perhaps the availability of pepper had something to do with its decline. The flavour though is a strong mix of celery and pepper. I usually don't add it to salad,  preferring celery, but have added it to stews and casseroles, where it adds great flavour. I have not yet tried eating the roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment