Thursday 20 June 2019

Mustards

I remember when I was about 20 years old, someone I knew discovered mustard and turned half their garden into a mustard farm. I discovered it about 8 years ago and now grow about 6 types.
different mustards going to flower this year

This year's non-typical spring it has flourished but gone to flower already. I usually leave a few plants to go to seed vs buying seed and eat the leaves still as it turns to seed. Like lettuce, its best to just keep planting some fresh seeds. The warmer the weather, the hotter the mustard and I have had some leaves that have had a wasabi overdose effect when eating them. No salad for myself does not have some mustard in it and little is better on a hamburger. In early spring, before peppers and tomatoes, it is my main flavouring garnish. Garnish is a key phrase here, with only 10% to 20% of a salad being mustard or it can become overbearing. I have not cooked it much, preferring to eat it raw, but many cultures consider it like spinach as something usually cooked. I also eat them as greens, and dont use the seed, which seems smaller than typical mustard seed you buy for making mustard.

The two favourites are Japanese Giant Red Mustard Greens and Indian Mustard Amsoi Greens. The frilly ones are great for less impact and the wasabi mustard is a bit more unique flavoured. Although not as cold hardy as kale, they grow here till temperatures drop below -10, extending their season considerably.

No comments:

Post a Comment