Thursday 25 April 2013

Earthday Challenge

So I may not be the best recycler always, and I don't drive a hybrid car, or live off grid. Sure I try, I use public transit and am aware, but I still leave a far larger carbon footprint and live the usual unsustainable lifestyle of a city dweller.

Some small part of my original goal in learning to grow edibles was desire to be more sustainable, organic and offering homage to the skills and lifestyles of years past. My Victory Garden. So since I am in full swing, here is my goal. Organic sustainable growth of all veggies and hopefully fruits this summer. Well almost (I did have seeds shipped). But forget the 100 mile diet, I going for the 100m diet.


Yes, I will buy only diary, meat and bread all summer. All other food I must grow in my own back yard. Its not all year and its not all foods, but its a start. No fertilizes etc transported, no far equipment burning diesel, no shipping to the distribute, then 1000's km to Toronto, then to the store, then to my home.  Apparently on average 2,500km to 4,000 km trip. Instead, they will be grown with no carbon footprint (well ok maybe I consume a bit more oxygen digging - but in return, my plants will convert this back from carbon dioxide to oxygen)

Yes you heard me - I going to try for a zero carbon footprint for only some of my foods. Not the largest effort, but I like to challenge any reader to put on the table a better plan. How much will I save - no idea. there many calculators out there and arguments for and against food miles. The reality is, simply a sustainable food source.

Now - if my nephews or nieces wanted to do some research, I truest their numbers. The challenge is on - are you in?




No comments:

Post a Comment