Friday 19 April 2013

Stink

I remember when I lived out in Mennonite farm area, the smell in spring. As things defrosted, and farmers worked the land, the air was filled with the smell of manure for those first 2 weeks of spring.

Meanwhile back at the ranch house, I spread out about 50kg (110 lbs) of chicken manure in my beds last weekend. Its Friday now, and I still choke when I walk outside. Even the kids in the school, park behind my house are staying well away from the fence. A cold front and rain is forecast and I am hoping it wash down that smell.

Yesterday I added to this, with some sulfur spray (yes is not really organic) on my Asian Pear. This served to add a rotten egg smell to stink of manure. Good weather or not, I decided to not BBQ out back for dinner.

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I don't think anything smells worse than chicken manure, unless it's liquid fish fertilizer, left in the sprayer all winter. I think I ran the neighbors out when I sprayed it on my garden! A well composted dairy manure, on the other hand, has a wonderful earthy aroma, so that's my fertilizer of choice.

    I've read your entire blog today, and enjoyed it immensely! I'm looking forward to watching your garden grow and produce this year, and in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed it! This is my 3 year trying to grow something and my second doing more than 2 tomato plants :-) I started the blog so my family could get a giggle out of my attempts. I have always considered myself very capable of reading the manual and applying, but gardening is a skill, that lets just say, needs practice and cannot be learned all by research. Having said that, bloggers like you and my retired older neighbours have inspired and coached me through many many bumps. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete