Monday 6 May 2013

Floating Row Covers

Well, my floating row cover build turned far more fun than one could imagine. I wanted a modular system and one that could pack down and be stored behind the shed. One that would work in my square foot garden and one that could be used in other beds. Finally I wanted tio potential to cover with plastic as well to extend the fall growing season.

The actual row cover itself was difficult to find.  I could order online at William Dams, or drive there and back in 2 hours. In the end I settled for Ikea net curtain that was on sale for $6, - its very flimsy and tears easily, and not idea how it will handle the sun, but it wont run. Its on my list for purchase next time.

Modular and fitting into my Square foot garden meant, no wood frames. I started off buying the usual electrical PVC piping, that is somewhat UV protected and cheap. $3,80 a 10 foot piece. I added a few rebars and as a tester, a copper plumbing pipe. After a few cuts, decided 8 foot was the right length. I cut the rebar into 2 foot pieces and pushed them into the ground, till only 3 or 4 inches stuck up.I then placed one end of the conduit in it, and bent it over to a inserted it on the rebar on the other end. Cut one of my 2 curtains in half gave me just about 5 x 8 foot and lay it over the "ribs". Now how to fasten it?? I used the broad last 1 inch end of piece of the offcut, that usually joins pipe. I cut twice so it was C shaped and not O and pegged or clipped on the cover. I landed up going back to buy 1 size bigger conduit pipe to cut many clips. Here was the result.

My Row New Covers
 Only time, sun and wind will let me know how these hold up to the elements. They only 4x4 feet  and wide open on the sides, so really dont limit anything. As I understand it it scares off the butterfly/moth more, but that is yet to be seen. I can at least get in there to weed or whatever.

Now if noticed, the middle rib is copper of the first row cover. This was my permanent rib idea. Copper gets a lovely patina and is slug repellant. to much could possibly leek into the soil, but if I moved them every so often it should not happen. bending copper is not easy, nor is the pipe cheep. I used the PVC and a old piece of plywood and along the bend, screwed in a bunch of screws. Then removed the PVC and bent the copper pipe on the "pattern" I had made.
Copper Rib Bender
The copper rib fits nicely over the rebar as well and the thinner conduit made a great peg or clip when cut into a C. It does not necessarily feel that much stronger, but it looks much better and should be US and weather resistant far longer than the PVC. I really like it and may be doing more and just leaving them up when not in use. They not in the way in the square foot garden.

I did not cover all my Brasilicas, I think I will let some get eaten a bit and hopefully encourage natural predators. Over plant if you would.

1 comment: