Friday 17 May 2013

May 2/4

Well this weekend is May 2/4 long weekend. The "official" opening of cottages, planting and start of summer. Just about everything except my  Belgium giant tomato, Okra and some squash are in the ground so not much left for me to plant.  11 Tomatoes and 33 peppers plants so far.  Tomatoes only have 1 foot of trellis, but 18 inches root area. I will need to do a lot of training and pruning.

I can pretty much pull together a small salad every day already from outside leaves of lettuce, pak choy and mustard. Chives since I forgot to plant spring onions. The mustard is now my big find, I love it. In the garden its deeper purple and is  hotter tasting than the cold frame. I will let some go to seed. In my "mostly" mels mix raised beds, the basilicas are huge, while my back to eden wood-chip bed, they tiny. I did only put the chips down this year though and they should have gone  on in the fall. Perhaps next year I will have my answer on which one is better. 2 tomatoes I planted in the raised beds look like they may be developing flowers. 

I collected those seedlings that I do not have space for,  and some that I lost labels for etc, and put them in a in out front. I offer them to the neighbors just in case they have space and want them. This will be the weekend most will be planting out and I live on a street where most have a vegetable garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment