Sunday 7 July 2013

First Zucchini

Mini Cauliflower
I planted 4 foot of Envy and another 4 feet of Bounty Edamame soy beans where my shallots came out. Last year, the label’s washed off. One I loved and the other was... OK. This year I put a large label cut from an old aluminium blind.

5 foot Krim Tomato Plant
I seem to be having no luck with cauliflower, another one in the garden (not beds) flowered with all of a 1 inch head. Is this due to too much nitrogen or bad seed? If you look back at my shallot harvest, the broccoli and spigarello are HUGE monsters. The Broccoli is 4 feet high and showing no head.


Garlic 1 Week July
I having something chew on everything. Sowbugs abound with all the rain, and I tried everything but sluggo for the slugs. I have snail traps and trying damp newspaper out at night as traps. The leaves look like pincushions from everything from Oak to tomatoes. The balance in my garden not yet returned, between pests and beneficials. I do expect to loose some, being totally organic, but my hope is that the pests will attract the beneficial insects. , I was hence happy to see a ladybird on my Krim Tomato. This plant is not heavily bearing, but now about 5 feet tall and a real monster.

First Zuchnini
My garlic looks like it is almost ready, with some clear yellowing starting, so I pulled one. It was good, but not that large and I think I leave it in for a week or 2 more.

After taking pictures a couple weeks ago of my rapidly growing zucchini, came dinner, I searched under the leaves and look what I found in the back. Split in half and grilled on the BBQ it was a much appreciated addition to my zero vegetable food miles summer. By the end of next week, I may be drowning in them. I have a few peppers that can be eaten, along with Kohlrabi but Tomatoes, cucumbers, beans I was hoping for, are yet to ripen/produce.

2 comments:

  1. I find that broccoli and cauliflower can be very dependent upon the weather conditions. Some years it is good and some bad. I'm only going to get 4 heads of cauliflower out of 15 from my spring planting. I'm experimenting with different varieties this year. Maybe you should test your soil also.

    Your garlic, zucchini and tomatoes look great! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year I built my raised beds and found your blog with you doing the same on a far, far grander scale. I love your blog and followed it since, especially since you tend to select many varieties and comment on them. I am 2 years new and finding that gardening is more than just internet research. Yes, I do need a soil test, but fiddled in both raised beds (chicken manure and compost) and out (woodchips) and thought I would wait a little. Perhaps store bought one in the interim.

    ReplyDelete