Monday 29 July 2013

Must Plan Better

As July comes to a close, I have harvested most of the garlic and earlier summer crops. The heat from a couple weeks ago put most of my lettuce etc into seed mode and so this weekend was spent pulling out and preparing the beds for second season planting. In the interim, the beds are pretty sparse and empty. Ideally I should have planted a few seed trays about 4 weeks ago and transplanted them in to the the beds now.



While cleaning up, I found a couple red acre cabbages starved for sunlight by a monster broccoli, and moved them to a bare patch.  I am not sure they survive or head still, but it was that or compost. I planted some seeds in a tray and decide later. The Romano beans on the right, wow these have produced like crazy, but I think they will be done in a week or 2. Cucumbers on the right of the trellis, and tomatoes afterwards. The trellis is 7.5 feet high and the couple tomato bushes are reaching the top. Peppers on the left have filled out quiet a bit, and starting to ripen. be nice to have more than green peppers. My Kohlrabi in the first bed seems to be battling to "swell" up, the parsnips in bed 2 are taking over.
 The garden has filled out a lot. In front here, you can see my 4 summer squash and 3 on the other side. I have only picked from 4 bushes so far, and already giving them away. I have another 8 odd bushes that not fruiting yet. 8 ball, white and patty-pan.  The grape vines recover and grew from ground up to top of the trellis again. The Okra plants are just before the path in front. I got the seeds late and they only half a foot tall. I hope I get some this season still. I have tried a little summer pruning of the fruit trees, but not sure if I have this down yet.

My"Dino" kale has done fairly well, although the leaves are rather narrow. I have mainly eaten it, but placing it on the cool side of the BBQ till crunchy. Its very attractive plant and I think I might use it more for decoration in future.

I saw this tomato Saturday and thought it be a few more days, but it ripened rapidly and so I picked it yesterday. I believe its a black Krim (label seems to have shifted between 2 plants.) I did not get to taste test it yet. It will have to wait till tonight.

Well hope my new lettuce grows rapidly, odd suddenly having almost none, after my initial glut. My true summer vegetables, (tomato, pepper, squash, cucumber, beans) and kicking in, although Okra and Eggplant are still pretty small.


2 comments:

  1. I need to plan better, too. I plant too much of some things, not enough of others. You just never know, from year to year, what will do well in the garden. I just started another batch of cabbages, but I think I should have begun a couple of weeks earlier. I don't think they'll have nearly enough time to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I have 12 weeks to expected first frost and only put seeds in this weekend. Sure you are a zone or 2 better than me... Mine might not mature either...

    ReplyDelete