Sunday 7 July 2013

French Grey Shallots Harvest

First French Grey Shallot harvest
Well after searching for a couple years for a source of French Grey Shallots, as I had read so much about the "true Shallot. I posted on a discussion board in desperation, and to most wonderful girls, Prapti and Fanny from a local organic farm, Au Bon Hectare dropped me a email saying they have and selling them at local farmers market, Withrow Park. (Ironically, close to where I used to live in concrete city, before moving out to the "burbs".) I ran over, bought some at a ridiculously good price (considering what they would costs online) and planted them in 6 sq feet in the fall.
2 weeks ago they fell over and clearly they started yellowing. From all the rain perhaps, but I decided to harvest. Success! A few smaller ones that got some shade from my kohlrabi that was next to it, and I have to keep them in front of the beds in future. They spread out drying now, but I am sure I have enough to plant 8 feet next year and eat a few. Now, as for taste, when I researched these, I read things like "slight more refined taste" and "allegedly more concentrated." Yes the smaller, yes they tough to chop, but Wow, they taste amazing. These will be a permanent addition to my garden. Thank you Prapti and Fanny!

Now if only I could braid....


2 comments:

  1. id like to find some of these, any idea where they might be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel,

    I was having a conversation with a chef a year odd later, and he knew a fresh veg market that usually sold them. As I mentioned I was lucky to find some in a market after searching for some time. There are a few online stores as well.

    ReplyDelete